You can rein in the results of excess this season!
- My Fitness Pal app
- Organisation skills
- Phone calendar / diary
- The will/the way
Let's face it, you're less likely to actually lose weight in December, but it's certainly possible to minimise the damage done. You can be smart and still enjoy yourself this festive season by doing the following:
- Log all meals into the My Fitness Pal app to keep track of what you're eating
- Plan ahead using a diary or your phone calendar: schedule upcoming events so you can plan when and what you will be eating/cheating (you can see I've labelled mine in red below)
- Eat clean at every meal other than scheduled cheat meals (dinners or nights out for example)
Extra time for exercise?
There are ways you can fit in a workout around all the parties coming up:
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier and do a quick workout at home
- Be selfish: do attend that party, but arrive a little later... after your gym session
- If you can't exercise after a night out, go easy on booze so you know you won't miss the next day's training session
- Try a yoga class if the thought of spinning or circuits right now is just too much
- You don't have to get to the gym: use YouTube for online workout tutorials
Recap on the rules
This is all about having your cake and eating fit at all other times. You have to plan ahead and make room for the naughty stuff. Schedule your social events and plan ahead so that you make sure you eat clean at all other meals.
You can't eat clean ALL the time anyway. Scheduled cheat meals are a great way of keeping your tastebuds happy and tricking your body into staying on that wagon for the rest of the time. Of course, if you find that this doesn't work for you, then stop, and do it however you think is best. This is just how it works well for me.
Below are 4 sample days I have planned for December, which include foods that you can easily get hold of for your clean meals. Underlined are what I consider cheat meals.
Sunday: woke up late, 1 small banana, Sunday roast, Chunky Courgette and Mint Pea Soup
Monday: 2 boiled egg whites, leftover soup with chicken , 1 medium apple, Sweet Potato & Lentil Dahl
Tuesday: 2 boiled egg whites, leftover dahl, prawn salad with ½ avocado
Wednesday: 2 boiled egg whites, chicken and green salad, 1 medium apple, dinner & drinks with friends
Workouts: Sunday 12pm yoga at home, Monday 6pm home circuits, Tuesday 5.45am gym, Wednesday 6pm running 30 minute interval training
If you decide to give this a go, remember that you don't have to eat what I'm suggesting above, just keep track of your calories on My Fitness Pal. You know which foods do and don't work to get the results you want for your body, but if you don't, then feel free to ask any questions in the comments below.